My niece, Amy sent me this Five-Star chocolate chip cookie recipe years ago!
The first time I made these cookies was in anticipation of the birth if our first grandson, John Isaac! Our daughter (in-law) Deborah, was admitted to the hospital early, for induction. Ben, Deborah, and I, had a "Slumber Party" in their hospital room while munching on these homemade Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and milk! We all decided they were the best chocolate chip cookies we'd ever eaten!
Last week Will made me a batch of these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies when I was down sick with the flu. They were the perfect prescription for a sick body! "Take 2 cookies . . . and call me in the morning!"
BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES
1/2 cup rolled oats, quick cook type
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white cane sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (Will used a small package of Black Walnuts and the rest in pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars, vanilla and lemon juice using an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture, blending well.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix well.
- Scoop out dough using a cookie scoop or tablespoon ( about walnut size).
- Place cookies 2 1/2" apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container between waxed paper to keep soft and chewy.
It was an interesting week with Will doing most of the cooking . . .
- He baked the bread in a 425F. oven instead of 350F. The crust was really dark, but tasted fine.
- He filled the pot to the top with water for cooking up a chicken for chicken noodle soup, the broth was way too watery. I had to doctor it up to make it edible.
- He kept me in fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice.
- But the best part? He made special cookies for me! Super, yummy, buttery, chocolaty, nutty, chewy, crispy, BEST ever . . . Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies!
. . . Over at Julie's!!!