I worked outside weeding our 2 acre pasture for 3 hours this morning! The rain brought up all kinds of weeds, including the treacherous puncture vine (we call them steer heads around here). They're a type of sand burr, very painful to step on, and our pasture is filled with them, in varying sizes, from babies, to huge burr-filled plants! The burrs are so sharp they can puncture a bike tire, and the bottom of your feet! With all that hoeing and sweating, I worked up quite an appetite!
I wanted something substantial without a whole lot of work involved. My Ultimate Comfort Bread was becoming a bit stale, so as I perused the fridge . . . I found beautiful crimini mushrooms, onion, medium rare, deli roast beef (nitrite-free), medium cheddar, and sweet and spicy mustard . . . The perfect fixin's for a Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich!Now that's a sa-wheet sandwich!
GROWN-UP GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH - recipe makes 1 sandwich
2 slices of good homemade style bread
Softened butter, for bread and frying onions and mushrooms
2 slices of onion
4 crimini (Italian, baby Portabella) mushrooms, sliced
Sprinkling of sea salt
5 slices of deli roast beef, chicken or turkey
Good spicy mustard
2 sliced of mild cheddar, Monterey Jack, or provolone
- Slice and butter bread well.
- Place heat on MEDIUM; add 2 tablespoons of butter to frying pan.
- Add onions, mushrooms and sea salt to pan; cook until golden.
- Add 5 slices of deli meat, flipping to heat through quickly.
- Place slice of bread, butter side down in frying pan; stack with onions, mushrooms, deli meat and a liberal squirt of mustard.
- Top with cheese and slice of bread, butter side up.
- Grill sandwich until bottom slice of bread is golden; flip, continue grilling until both sides are golden.
- Cut sandwich, secure with toothpicks.
Meat, onions, mushrooms and mustard stacked on first slice of bread.
Cheese and bread, butter-side up added.
Sandwich flipped to grill bread and melt the cheese.
Now that's a BIG sandwich, loaded with BIG GROWN-UP flavor!!!
Who said grilled cheese sandwiches have to be made with just cheese? This big, bold sandwich is hardy enough to serve for dinner! Perfect sides would be homemade baked French fries and coleslaw with my Creamy Slaw Dressing!
Will gets back in town tonight at 10:00pm! Looking forward to spending time with my Honey! Hope your weekend is full of fun, love and recipes from . . . Over at Julie's!!! Have a GREAT WEEKEND!!!