Even sworn slaw haters, like my 3 sons, love it piled high on their pulled pork sandwiches!
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (only use 1/2 teaspoon if making for children)
2 cups catsup
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add onion, and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add mustard, paprika, cumin, and cayenne; cook 1 minute.
- Add catsup (no high fructose corn syrup, please!), brown sugar, vinegar, and water; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Uncover; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add a cup of sauce to shredded pork and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Pile meat high on a toasted bun; add extra sauce, and coleslaw.
Ingredients for Carolina Barbecue Sauce.
Adding seasonings to onions to get spices to bloom.
Uncover; simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
Shred pork with two forks
Pour a cup of Carolina Barbecue Sauce over shredded pork, and simmer for 10 minutes on LOW heat.
Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich . . . are you salivating yet?!!
This Carolina Barbecue Sauce will keep in the fridge for over a month. A batch of pulled pork sandwiches will use up about a pint of sauce leaving you with an extra pint for the freezer.
This a great meal to prepare in advance. The meat can be cooked up 2 days ahead of time and the sauce is easy to make. You can double this recipe so you will always have a bit of sauce on hand to pull out of the freezer or fridge. Keeping it easy and tasty . . . Over at Julie's!!!