Lemon in cooking, brings a wonderful depth of flavor, add fresh chopped oregano, a bit of fresh garlic, a pinch of pepper flakes, salt,and pepper and we're talkin' "Good Eats"!
I begin with meaty chicken thighs or legs . . . the cheaper, moister, kid-friendly, cuts from chicken, drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, add some lemon slices thinly cut and you've got the beginnings of Lemon Oregano Chicken!
LEMON OREGANO CHICKEN
Chicken legs or thighs or combination, about 4 lbs.
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Large lemon, half cut in thin slices, seeds removed
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
4 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced, or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place chicken and lemon slices onto a half baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over both sides of chicken.
- Salt and pepper well.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until done (time will vary depending on size of chicken).
- Transfer chicken to platter, crispy side up.
- Add broth and wine to baking sheet; use bench scrapper or spatula to loosen the browned crunchy bits.
- Pour broth with crunchy bits into a medium sauté pan.
- Add minced garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Simmer broth with seasonings on MEDIUM heat to reduce by 1-half.
- Pour hot juices over chicken; serve immediately.
Bake until cook, about 45 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter - crispy side up.
Add chicken broth and white wine; scrape the crunchy bits loose with a spatula.
Ingredients to season meat juices.
Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and lemon juice; simmer on MEDIUM.
Simmering will cause the juices to reduce and thickened.
Pour hot juices over chicken . . . Serve immediately.
This is our "new favorite" chicken recipe! The combination of lemon, oregano, pepper flakes and garlic in the sauce gives this chicken dish an intense lemon kick! You'll love eating the baked lemon slices, they taste almost candied. The first time Will took a bite of Lemon Oregano Chicken he said, "Wow, this tastes great!"
Shhhh! Don't tell our "Girls" we're enjoying eating chicken, they might start to worry . . . Over at Julie's!!!