Bacon wrapped hot dogs stuffed with relish, melted cheese, wrapped with crispy bacon, and a hefty squirt of yellow mustard, was one of my favorites meals as a little kid, and I still love them!
I love a good hot dog, nestled in a homemade bun and there are so many ways to enjoy them . . . Here's my top 5!
1) smothered in onions w/mustard
2) chili dogs w/onions and mustard
3) kraut dogs w/onions and mustard
4) fire roasted until blackened, straight off the stick
5) bacon wrapped/stuffed with relish and cheese
Start with a quality hot dog (I prefer beef bun-length without nitrates or nitrites). Add a fresh, homemade, seed-covered bun, and you've got the beginnings of a tasty meal!
BACON WRAPPED HOT DOGS
1 1/2 slices of thick-sliced bacon per hot dog (I used applewood smoked)
Hot dog buns
Sweet pickle relish (I used my homemade Kick-N-It Relish)
Cheese- Monterey Jack, Colby, or pepper jack
- Fry bacon, leaving it cooked but still pliable.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Cut a slit in hotdogs, making sure you don't cut all the way through, and add relish.
- Add cheese.
- Wrap hot dogs with bacon and secure with toothpicks. Cover the center with 1/2 piece of bacon and secure.
- Place under the broiler at 450F for 2-minutes slit/stuffed side down first (this will keep the cheese from oozing out).
- Turn hot dogs (cheese side up) and broil 2 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove toothpicks
- Place hot dog on a homemade bun, add mustard and/or ketchup.