My grandkids l-o-v-e breakfast! Whether it's a hot bowl of hand-flaked oatmeal, loaded with plump, juicy, raisins, pancakes studded with seasonal fruit here, and here, waffles, breakfast cookies, crockpot Greek yogurt, fresh scones and here, or their "new favorite" Blueberry-Drop Biscuit Cobbler!
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
1 1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup, plus 1 cup of pure cane sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 stick or 6 tablespoons of chilled, salted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sour cream
8 cups fresh blueberries, or any combination of berries you enjoy together.
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Super premium ice cream - As Good as Hagen Daz or a quality vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together 1 1\2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add cold butter cubes ~ Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until pea-size lumps remain.
- Gently mix in the sour cream.
- Knead in bowl until the dough comes together in a ball (5-7 turns) over mixing will produces a tough biscuit.
- In a large bowl ~ Combine remaining 1 cup of sugar, remaining 1/2 cup of flour, berries, lemon juice and zest, tossing to coat each berry.
- Pour berry mixture into a 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Tear biscuit topping into quarter-size crumbles; scatter over the berries (this will cause more biscuit surface, therefore a more crunchy biscuit topping).
- Bake cobbler until juices are thick and bubbly and the topping is cooked through to a deep golden brown.
- Chill dessert plates in the freezer to keep ice cream from melting.
- Let cool on wire rack 15-20 minutes before serving with ice cream.
Who wouldn't want this for breakfast?
When our boys were little, and strawberries were in season . . . I used to surprise them with strawberry shortcake for breakfast! Of course we buttered our biscuits for an added layer of flavor!
Do you have a favorite berry recipe you'd like to share that your family loves for breakfast?
Okay, so now you know my secret . . . Ice cream goes best with anything berry . . . Over at Julie's!!!