There is a store in Phoenix called Ranch Pro Markets that we visit about once a month. They have incredible sales on produce. Yellow onions 6 lbs. for $ .99 and right now pumpkin pie pumpkins are also 6 lbs. for $ .99! So, it's time to cook up some pumpkin!Last year was the first time bought whole fresh pumpkin and made my own pumpkin, for pies. You know what? It was easy and a lot tastier than the expensive stuff you buy in a can. For this pumpkin ice cream I am using the last batch of pumpkin I froze in 2011.
BAKING PUMPKIN/SQUASH Baking pumpkin is done exactly like you would cook a large squash.
1 large pumpkin for pies or a couple small sweet pumpkins
- Wash the exterior of pumpkin (a lot of dirty hands have handled the outside of your pumpkin)
- Slice, cutting along a rib of the pumpkin
- Clean out the seeds and stringy stuff with a large metal spoon, scraping to remove the gunk.
- Place pumpkin flesh side down in a baking pan.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake on 350F for 1 hour, or until a fork easily pierces the skin and flesh.
- Cool; scoop out the cooked pumpkin, leaving the outer skin.
- Blend in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Run pumpkin through a sieve or food mill to remove any hard or fibrous matter.
- Use just like canned pumpkin in recipes.
- Extra may be frozen in labeled and dated containers.
Cut along one of the ribs, down through the middle of the stem.
Using a large metal spoon, clean out seeds and goop.
Place flesh side down in baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
Bake at 350F. for 1-hour, or until fork tender.
TIP: If you pre-measure pumpkin in 1/2-cup, 1-cup, and 1 1/2 cups you'll have the right amount ready for pie, scones, muffins, cookies, ice cream, sweet breads, cheesecake, and the list goes on . . . recipes.
Squash and pumpkin can actually be used interchangeably. Baked squash scooped out, salted and peppered with a pat of butter is delicious as a veggie!
FRESH PUMPKIN ICE CREAM Makes 2 1/2 quarts
2 cups heavy cream
2 quarts half and half or whole milk
1/2 cup white cane sugar
1/2 cup light brown cane sugar, don't pack it down
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Scant 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of ground mace
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup pumpkin
*2 whole eggs
1 can of sweetened condensed milk or DIY Sweetened Condensed Milk (not condensed milk)
- In an 8-cup glass measuring bowl add cream, half and half and sugars, mix well with whisk.
- Measure out pumpkin into a microwavable 1-cup measure.
- Measure out spices into a small bowl, whisk together.
- Add spices to pumpkin; blend together well with wire whisk.
- Add pumpkin mixture to ice cream mixture.
- In pumpkin measuring cup, whisk up eggs and add to ice cream mixture.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Because this recipe makes 2 1/2 quarts of ice cream, you will need to make ice cream in 2 batches.
- Pour half of ice cream mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions (I set my timer for 22-minutes to freeze my ice cream).
- *Please note: This recipe uses raw eggs. * If you are concerned about Salmonella, dip eggs in boiling water for 5 seconds and then into iced water to cool the egg shell quickly to keep the egg from cooking. I use our chickens' eggs and have never a problem.
Whisk spices into pumpkin.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4-hours.
Stir well before pouring half of ice cream mixture into ice cream machine.
It's ready to put into freezer containers to harden for a couple hours.
A large plastic spoon works great for scooping out the soft ice cream and for scraping the hardened ice cream along the sides and bottom of the freezer bowl.
Leave a little ice cream on the paddle for the kids to lick off!
Super-Premium Pumpkin Ice Cream . . . will give Haagan Daz a run for it's money!
Place Pumpkin Ice Cream in freezer to harden.
A perfect Thanksgiving treat for the loved ones in your life who can't eat that piece of pumpkin pie because they're allergic to gluten. It's spicy pumpkin pie in a rich, custardy, ice cream!
Just the best Pumpkin Ice Cream on the Planet!
If you're looking for a special dessert to WOW your company . . . This is the dessert!
Please don't forget to tell them you found it . . . Over at Julie's!!!