This year I grew my own mustard and harvested the seeds but, they are brown (hot) mustard seeds used in Chinese mustard and hot mustard. You can purchase both brown and yellow mustard seeds in bulk at stores like Sprouts Farmer's Market or through my favorite spice store. Penzey's has local stores throughout the United States, or you can sign up for a catalog to browse through at your leasure and order on the Internet. They carry quality herbs, spices and seasonings from all over the world and their catalog is full of yummy customers' recipes!SPICY HONEY MUSTARDUsing mustard seeds gives you control of the texture.
1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds1/3 cup apple cider vinegar1 clove garlic, crushed with the side of a large knife3 tablespoons filtered water2 1/2 to 3 ounces liquid honey, depending on your taste preference1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine mustard seeds, cider vinegar, crushed garlic and water in a small bowl.
- Cover and let sit on the counter/bench for 24 to 36 hrs.
- Discard garlic.
- Spray measuring cup with cooking spray before adding 2 1/2 ounces of honey and cinnamon.
- Add all ingredients to food processor (I use my Bullet)) pulse until mustard forms a coarse consistency, leaving some mustard seeds still intact.
- Taste test mustard and add up to 1/2 ounce of more honey if you want it sweeter.