I developed this recipe over time, to provide my family with an all purpose bread that has both flavor and texture, as well as, healthy ingredients such as, honey, wheat and oat bran, ground flax seed, and 6 grains. While I make other breads, this is the one I make twice a week without fail, 52 weeks of the year!
JULIE'S DAILY BREAD ~ by JulieThis recipe has been developed for use with a bread machine.
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons ground flax seed / equals 1 tablespoon of butter
2/3 cup 6 grain
1/2 cup wheat and oat bran mixture
2 tablespoons liquid honey
4 teaspoons whole milk
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups unbleached bread flour, make a well in the center to add yeast.
1 tablespoon SAF instant yeast, may be purchased at Smart and Final or on the Internet.
DIRECTIONS FOR USING A BREAD MACHINE
- Remove bread pan, making sure the bread paddle is in place.
- Add ingredients to bread pan beginning with warm water and ending with bread flour.
- Make a well in center of the flour and add yeast.
- Set bread machine on DOUGH CYCLE.
- When bread machine is finished, gently push dough down.
- Lightly flour counter and form bread into a loaf and place in a greased bread pan. My bread pan is 12-inches by 4 1/2- inches and gives us 18 slices of bread.
- Cover bread with a tea towel or greased plastic wrap draped lightly over bread (My greased plastic wrap is folded up and stored in the bottom of my bread basket to use again and again).
- Keep bread a warm place to rise. I use my microwave oven with the door almost closed and the light still on.
- Set timer for 40-45 minutes. When timer goes off preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove plastic wrap or towel and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack completely before cutting.
If there was one thing you could change this year, making healthy bread for your family would be a great place to begin. It is so simple to do with a bread machine! The mess is kept to a minimum and cleanup is just a quick wipe on the counter and hand washing your bread pan and paddle. Ground flax can be purchased at Sam's Club or Costco. The brans and 6 grain can be purchased in bulk at your health food stores. I purchase them when on sale and store in the freezer. Bake up some happy, healthy memories with Julie's Daily Bread!
I think Will and I have a pretty good thing going . . . I bake the bread, Will slices it (perfectly), and he eats the majority of it! It's a win-win situation . . . Over at Julie's!!!